Skip to Content

FREE STRATEGY SESSIONS* | Call 702-435-3333

Can I Change My Legal Name in Nevada?

Legally changing your name in Nevada is a major life decision that requires careful consideration and planning. Whether you are changing your name for personal reasons, professional purposes, or to comply with legal requirements, it can be a complex and daunting process. That is why it is essential to have experienced legal professionals on your side to guide you through the process and ensure that your legal rights are protected. At Boley and AlDabbagh, we have successfully helped countless clients legally change their names, and we are here to do the same for you.

Why Change Your Name?

There are many reasons why people may choose to change their names. Some common reasons include:

  • Marriage or Divorce: Changing your last name to your spouse’s or returning to your maiden name after a divorce is a common reason for a name change.

  • Adoption: Adopted children may choose to change their names to their adoptive family’s name.

  • Gender Transition: Transgender individuals may wish to change their name to reflect their gender identity.

  • Personal Preferences: You may simply want to change your name for personal reasons, such as disliking your given name or wanting to honor a loved one.

  • Personal Safety: Avoiding stalkers, criminal threats to your life, or witness protection are all common reasons to change your name.

Whatever your reasons for wanting to change your name, our team at Boley and AlDabbagh can help you navigate the legal process.

The Legal Process of Changing Your Name

The legal process of changing your name varies depending on your location and the reason for the change. You will need to file a petition with the court in your jurisdiction, and depending on your stated reason for requesting the name change, various steps will have to be followed. At Boley and AlDabbagh, we are experts and finding the quickest and most efficient path to expediting your name change. For example, you normally are required to publish your request to change your name in a local newspaper for a period of time before the court will hear your petition, but we have been successful in having the court waive this requirement in the past by showing special circumstances related to our client’s petition.

Once your petition is filed, you may need to attend a court hearing, where a judge will review your request and may ask you questions about your reasons for the name change. However, we are usually able to get your petition approved without you ever having to physically visit the courtroom. Once the judge approves your request, you will receive a court order that legally changes your name.

After you receive your court order, you will have to update all of your government documents, bank accounts, vehicle registrations, the deed to your house, etc. 

Why Hire Boley and AlDabbagh to Help You?

While it is possible to change your name without legal assistance, hiring a law firm can make the process smoother, faster, and less stressful. Our team of experienced attorneys can:

  • Help you determine if you are eligible for a name change based on your specific circumstances and local laws.

  • Prepare and file the necessary paperwork on your behalf, ensuring that all requirements are met.

  • Represent you at the court hearing and answer any questions the judge may have.

  • Obtain a court order that legally changes your name.

  • Provide you guidance and assistance with all of the steps that you will need to take after you obtain your court order.

At Boley and AlDabbagh, we understand that changing your name is a personal and emotional decision. That is why we treat each client with compassion and respect, providing personalized legal services tailored to your unique needs and goals.

Contact Boley and AlDabbagh Today

If you are considering changing your name, contact Boley and AlDabbagh today to schedule a consultation. Our team of legal professionals is here to help you navigate the complex legal process and ensure that your name change is successful. Call us today to schedule your appointment.